The following obituaries and articles were published in the February 25, 2006 issue of The National Herald, with their kind permission I am providing them as a possible tool for Hellenic genealogy research.


George Davis, Fierce Death Penalty Opponent, Dies at 98

By Dennis McLellan Los Angeles Times

HONOLULU - George T. Davis, a legendary San Francisco criminal lawyer who first gained fame representing a convicted bomber who was pardoned in a landmark 1930's case and later represented clients including California death row inmate Caryl Chessman and televangelist Jim Bakker, has died. He was 98. 

Davis, the son of a Greek immigrant, died of heart failure February 4 at his home at the Mauna Lani Resort on the Big Island of Hawaii, according to his wife, Ginger. 

"George really was one of the great ones," said Gerald Uelmen, a professor at Santa Clara University School of Law. "He was a legendary voice against capital punishment in California, one of the earliest lawyers who really focused on death cases and challenged the employment of the death penalty in California." 

"My memory of George was that he was a very outgoing person," Uelmen added. "People liked him a lot, and he just loved to tell war stories." 

Davis had no shortage of them. A 1931 graduate of the University of California at Berkeley's Boalt Hall School of Law, he worked for a year as an assistant district attorney in San Francisco before launching his solo practice as a criminal lawyer. 

By decade's end he had gained a national reputation for handling appeals on behalf of labor organizer Tom Mooney, who had been convicted of a 1916 parade bombing in San Francisco which killed ten people and injured 40. 

The controversial case, in which it was widely believed that Mooney had been framed through perjured testimony, produced a 1935 U.S. Supreme Court decision liberalizing the rules under which new evidence could be introduced as grounds for a new trial. 

When Mooney was granted an unconditional pardon in 1939 after more than 21 years in prison, he and Davis staged a victory parade up Market Street in San Francisco, where they were cheered by an estimated 100,000 lining the street. 

After serving in the Army in Europe during World War II, Davis represented Alfried Krupp, heir to the German industrial and munitions empire, in post-Nuremberg trials appeals. 

Davis managed to get Krupp's prison term cut in half, arguing that Krupp was being tried for war crimes in place of his father, who had headed the firm under Nazi rule, but had been declared mentally unfit to be tried. Davis ultimately helped Krupp get released from prison. 

In another landmark case in 1948, Davis defended Air Force Sgt. Kenneth Long, who was charged with murdering his unfaithful wife. 

Long had already confessed on the witness stand, but the jury heard a different story when Davis persuaded the judge to admit - for the first time in California - a tape recording as evidence. 

Davis had smuggled a recorder into the jail and secretly recorded a conversation between Long and a psychiatrist. During the conversation, Long, who had been injected with sodium pentothal, the chemical commonly known as truth serum, recalled witnessing his wife's boyfriend kill her. 

The jury found Long not guilty.

 A 1956 episode of the hour-long ABC anthology series "Conflict" featured an episode based on the Long case: "The People Against McQuade," featuring Tab Hunter and James Garner- and Davis playing himself as the defendant's lawyer. 

"He was open to everything," Ginger Davis said of her husband's brief fling in Hollywood. "George was such a happy person. He just always had a good time and loved meeting all those people." 

Davis' most notorious case - and one of his greatest war stories - was the federal death penalty appeal of Chessman, the so-called Red Light Bandit, who was convicted on kidnapping and rape charges in 1948. 

After a 12-year struggle for his life on San Quentin's death row, during which he wrote books protesting his conviction and won numerous stays of execution, Chessman was scheduled to die in the gas chamber at 10 AM on May 2, 1960. 

In the wake of what a Los Angeles Times correspondent described as a "whirlwind series of legal maneuvers," Davis and fellow attorney Rosalie Asher rushed into the chambers of federal Judge Louis Goodman in San Francisco only a few minutes before the scheduled execution. 

The judge listened briefly to their plea for a stay. Then, agreeing to a one-hour stay to hear arguments, the judge reached for the phone. But the judge's secretary obtained a wrong number for the prison warden on the first try, and by the second try, it was too late. 

"If ever there was a case proving the injustice of the death penalty, it was the Chessman case," Davis said in an interview years later. "Why, he hadn't even been accused of killing anybody." 

Chessman had been convicted under California's Lindbergh Law, which permitted the death penalty to be invoked when kidnapping victims suffered bodily harm. The law was repealed in 1973. 

Among Davis' other clients were Philippine opposition leader Benigno Aquino Jr., for whom Davis secured release from prison in Manila; and Robert W. T'Souvas, who was charged with killing two Vietnamese children during the My Lai massacre. Davis got the charges dismissed. 

Davis' last big case was in 1989, when he represented Bakker, who was convicted on 24 counts of conspiring to defraud his followers. 

Davis was born May 29, 1907 in St. Louis, but at age 1 moved with his family to San Francisco, where his Greek father managed restaurants. 

Davis, who played drums, trumpet and piano, joined the local musicians union while studying philosophy at UC Berkeley. Between his sophomore and junior years, he and four musician friends got a job playing on a cruise ship. 

During the around-the-world cruise, on which he celebrated his 18th birthday, Davis made his first visit to Hawaii. He and Ginger, his fourth wife, moved to the islands permanently in 1980 and bought a 100-acre horse and cattle ranch on the Hamakua Coast on the Big Island of Hawaii. 

Davis served as Northern California campaign chairman for Harry S. Truman in 1948 and was Northern California campaign cochairman for Jimmy Carter in 1976. 

Through four mayoral administrations, he was a member of the San Francisco War Memorial Commission, which overseas the opera house and other arts facilities in the civic center, and the San Francisco Host Committee, which entertains visiting heads of state. 

With J.K. Choy, Davis co-founded the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco in 1965. He also was a founding member of the National Lawyers Guild and the American Board of Criminal Lawyers. 

Davis, who was twice divorced and widowed once, had no children. Ginger Davis, whom he married in 1974, is his sole survivor. Memorial services were held privately. Memorial contributions may be made to the Death Penalty Clinic of Boalt Hall School of Law. 

The Los Angeles Times published the above on February 19. The original headline is, “George Davis, 98, Attorney Railed Against Death Penalty.”


Aloupis, James A. Rev. - A service for the Very Reverend James A. Aloupis, 88, of Mountainside, NJ was held on February 16 in St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Newark, NJ. Father Aloupis, who died on February 11 in Overlook Hospital, Summit, was an arch priest and served at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church for 47 years, retiring in 2003. He was a graduate of Bates College, Lewiston, Maine, and the Theological Seminary, Brookline, Mass. He was recognized for his efforts at interfaith bridge building by the B'nai B'rith, the National Conference of Christians and Jews and other organizations. He also was a mentor and volunteer with such community organizations as the Boys Clubs of America, Newark. Born in Lynn, Mass., Father Aloupis moved to Mountainside 50 years ago. Surviving is a daughter, Constance Angelica. Angelo, Mary (nee Zigounaki


Angelo, Mary (nee Zigounakis) - Age 84; of Modesto, CA died Monday at Memorial Medical Center. Mrs. Angelo was a native of Van Houten, CA. She was a homemaker. She was a member of the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation. She is survived by her children, Nick Angelo of Brentwood and Paul Angelo of Modesto; brother, John Zigounakis of Modesto; sisters, Antonia Headrick and Stella Zigounakis, both of Modesto; and six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Visitation was on Thursday, February 16 at Salas Brothers Funeral Chapel. A funeral was on Friday, February 17 at Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation. Remembrances may be made to Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation, 313 Tokay Ave., Modesto 95350.


Georgiou, Nitsa Karsos. - Age 82; of Warren, NJ died on February 13 in Overlook Hospital, Summit, NJ. A service will be at noon tomorrow in Ascension Greek Orthodox Church, Fairview. Mrs. Georgiou was born in Chios, Greece, and also lived in Fairview and Jersey City. Surviving are sons, Kostas and George; a brother, John Kostas, and three grandchildren.


Jasonides, Elias S. - Age 85; of Saco, OR; died in Saco, on February 7, 2006. Visiting hours were Thursday, February 9 at the Cote Funeral Home. Funeral Service was on February 10 St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, Saco. Burial at St. Demetrios Cemetery, Biddeford.


Javellas, Margaret Rita. - A service for Mrs. Margaret Rita Javellas, 89, of West Orange was on Thursday, February 9 in Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church, Orange, NJ after the funeral from the Dangler Funeral Home of West Orange. Mrs. Javellas, who died on February 5 at home, was a member of the Ladies Philoptochos Society-Dorkas and the Leisure Suburbanites, both at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church. She also belonged to the Edison Club and the Happy Hour Club, both in West Orange. Born in Athens, Greece, she came to Newark in 1948 and lived in Bloomfield before moving to West Orange 39 years ago. Surviving are a daughter, Sylvia Koroneos; a son, Peter, and three grandchildren.


Kalliavas, George S. - Of Arlington, VA; a World War II veteran and retired restaurant owner, died on Friday, February 10 at the Oxford Manor Nursing Home in Haverhill. He was 87. Born in Roxbury, he had lived in Arlington for most of his life. Mr. Kalliavas served in the armed forces during World War II. He owned and operated Buttercup Restaurant at Inman Square inCambridge. Mr. Kalliavas is survived by his wife, Viola (Loupos); a daughter, Jean Yiokarinis of Kingston, N.H.; a sister, Lillian Damaskas of Roslindale; three grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews. A funeral service was held on February 8 in Saint Athanasisus Greek Orthodox Church, Arlington.


Karris, Sophie (nee Roupas) - Beloved wife of the late Alex Karris; loving mother of Ernest (Joanne), Nicholas (Mary Ann) and Renee (Andreas) Salivaras; proud grandmother ofsix; great-grandmother of five; preceded in death by her seven siblings; fond aunt of many nieces and nephews. Active for many years in the Greek Community. Visitation was on Friday, February 10 at Conboy-Westchester Funeral Home. Family and friends met the following morning at SS. Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church in Palos Hills, IL for Funeral Service. In lieu of flowers, donations to Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center, 801 W. Adams, Chicago, IL 60607 in celebration of her life appreciated.


Katsulas, Andrew C. - Passed away on Monday, February 13, 2006 in Los Angeles, CA. Beloved husband of Gilla Nissan Katsulas and deeply loved by her family; dearest father of Katherine Parker and Michael Katsulas; dear son of the late Pete and Bessie Katsulas; dear cousin to the Dimza and Speropoulos Families and to his family in Greece. A dear friend to many. Services: The Funeral Service was conducted at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, on Friday, February 17. Interment St. Matthew Cemetery. Memorials appreciated to St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.


Makos, Vasiliki (nee Karagiannis) - Died on Tuesday, February 7, 2006. Beloved wife of Christos Makos; dear mother of Vasilios (Hrisoula) Makos, Eleni (Tom) Karagiannis, Panagoti (Cathy) Makos, Petros Makos, Georgia (Spiro) Mellos, Tom Makos, Kalliope (Gus) Patakas; dear grandmother of 12; dear great-grandmother of 15. Services: Funeral from Colonial Mortuary Hoffmeister-Kriegshauser Funeral Directors, on February 11 to Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in St. Louis for service. The interment followed in St. Matthew Cemetery. Visitation was at Colonial Mortuary on Friday, February 10 with Trisagion Service.


Marangos, Pauline (nee Goumenis) - Peacefully passed away February 7, 2006, in Nansemond Pointe Nursing Home of Suffolk, VA. She was the wife of the late James Marangos. Mrs. Marangos was born in Lowell, Mass., where she lived most of herlife until finally settling in Suffolk. She will always be known as a loving wife, mother and grandmother and a wonderful Greek cook. She was a member of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Norfolk. She is survived by her daughter, Sofia M. Dakos and her husband George of Suffolk; a son, the Rev. Dr. Frank Marangos and his wife Haidee of Medfield, Mass.; two grandchildren, Alexander Dakos of Suffolk and Gregory Marangos of Medfield; many nieces and nephews; and also many special friends at Nansemond Pointe. She was predeceased by her sister, Anastasia Makris; and her two brothers, Father Homer Goumenis of Atlanta and Father Charles Goumenis of Norfolk. A church service was held on Friday, February 10 at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral by Father Seraphim Poulos and Father Constantine Rogakos. Memorial donations may be made to the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 7220 Granby St., Norfolk.


Frixo Alexis, Popular Hairstyist with Washington’s Political Elite, Dies at 75

By Patricia Sullivan The Washington Post

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Frixo J. Alexis, 75, the ebullient owner and operator of the House of Alexis beauty salons who flirted with his clients, catered to their coiffures and always had time to discuss the latest political intrigue, died of complications from emphysema on January 7 while visiting relatives in Tampa. He lived in Kensington, Maryland. 

Mr. Alexis, a Washington area resident since 1960, opened the House of Alexis at the Sheraton Park Hotel in 1961. Over the next 45 years, he opened salons on MacArthur Boulevard in the District; in a mall in Chevy Chase; and at the current location on Arlington Road in Bethesda, which is now managed by his son and daughter-in-law. 

"Going to his salon was like going to a cocktail party without the booze," said Alice Mandanis, who started going to his salon in the late 1960's. "You never knew who'd you'd encounter there - it could be a congresswoman, a judge, various politicians, academics." 

The bald beautician had an enormous zest for life, which he demonstrated by flirting, flattering and feeding people around him, friends and relatives said. 

"He was a Greek immigrant and loved people, and he just had an artistic flair," said his cousin Leon Andris. "You know Zorba the Greek? He was as close to Zorba as there was." 

Deborah Howe, another longtime client, said he strove to make his customers happy. When Howe broke her pelvis some years ago, Mr. Alexis insisted on coming to her home to do her hair. "He would not charge me a penny for it," she said. "He'd take care of us old ladies. You began to wonder how he ever made any money." 

Mr. Alexis was an accomplished hairstylist who taught and attended beauty schools in both North and South America, as well as in London and Paris. He won many awards in local competitions, which encouraged customers to trust him when he urged them to accept his ideas. 


"Color was his big thing," Mandanis said. "If you went to him, you had to accept you might be a guinea pig. You put yourself in his hands, and you had to be prepared to take some risks. But he had a magic hand. When you walked out of his shop, you felt transformed. Of course, part of it was his blarney." 

He was born in Tarapsa, Greece, a small village south of Sparta. He spent his childhood there, and in Athens. During his teenage years, while the Germans occupied Greece during World War II, he assisted in the Greek resistance. 

Mr. Alexis and his two older brothers came to the United States in 1946 and settled in Erie, Pennsylvania, where his father owned a bar and diner. Mr. Alexis joined the Navy soon after his arrival, and was stationed in Key West, Florida with the submarine fleet. 

By 1960, he had arrived in Washington and started his successful series of businesses. He did not attend college, but he was well read and enjoyed following international news. 

An ardent sportsman, Mr. Alexis owned a boat in Tall Timbers in St. Mary's County, and spent his days off fishing in Chesapeake Bay. He also loved cooking his favorite Greek foods and serving them at large parties he threw. 

Mr. Alexis volunteered as a translator at the National Institutes of Health and donated his professional and culinary talents to a host of Washington charities. 

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Barbara Ellen Alexis of Kensington; two sons, Taki of Kensington and Dean of Olney; a brother, Taki of McLean. Virginia; and three grandchildren. 

The Washington Post published the above on January 14. The original headline is, “Frixo J. Alexis, 75, Gregarious Hairstylist.”