Great-grandmother's cooking pot from Greece

  

MY TREASURE - My great-grandmother sent this cooking pot to my grandmother in the United States from Sparta, Greece around the early 1960's.  I was always told this is the actual cooking pot she used, that she would prepare her meal in the pot, take it to the bakers for cooking, then pick it up later in the day.  The pot looks like it is made of copper on the outside and some type of lead material on the inside (which is hard to believe).  She supposedly would have a local man resurface the inside of the pot when it wore down.  

Both the top and bottom of the pot have a large A.I. imprinted on the front (see picture # 2).  I don't know if that is a mark for the manufacturer, or what it indicates.  Does anyone know?

I was given this cooking pot by my mother many years ago and always tried to take good care of it.  Over the last year it was kept on the top shelf of a hutch, and when I took it down to clean it, I noticed marks that seem to be from moisture.  I don't understand how this happened, but am heartbroken.

As always, Good luck with your Greek family history research.

Georgia Keilman nee Stryker (Stratigakos)


Comments

  1. Hi Georgia,
    Thanks so much for your site- I forget, are you from the Stratigakos of Voutiano?
    As for the pot, or tenzeras/tenzeri, it is of copper/and/or lead, and yes it would have been resurfaced by a "kalantzis", who would come around every few years, so no lead or copper poisoning.

    Regards,
    Maria D Yorgakopoulou- Vamvakou Oinountas Lakonia- Amherst Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria - thanks for the info. My Stratigakos family lived in Agios Ioannis outside of Sparta.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment