Smyrna Fire - First Divine Liturgy in 90+ Years in Only Church to Survive
Published in The Pappas Post, August 18, 2014
Authored by Chrysovalantis Stamelos
According to Orthodox Christian historians, Saint Voukolos (Vukla) was the first Christian bishop of Smyrna, and was a student of Saint John the Evangelist. The church of Agios Voukos is the only remaining original Greek Orthodox church left standing in downtown Izmir dating to the Ottoman Smyrna era around the 1860s.
The church was unaffected by the catastrophic fire which engulfed the city in 1922, and was restored in 2008 as a cultural center. . . .
READ ENTIRE ARTICLE