"The Greek Easter Day" article - New York Times, April 26, 1897
Published in The New York Times, April 26, 1897
THE GREEK EASTER DAY
The Orthodox Church Observed It with Imposing Services
Multitude of Waving Candles
Easter, according to the calendar of the Greek Orthodox Church, was celebrated yesterday, and the day was ushered in with special impressive Easter services that began before midnight on Saturday.
The Greek Orthodox Church, in Fifty-third Street, between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, was crowded with worshippers before 11 o’clock. At that hour the Archimandrite, Agathodorus A. Papageorgopoulos, arrayed in gorgeous vestments, richly ornamented with sacred symbols in gold, appeared, Wax tapers, about two feet in length, were distributed among the congregation, and then the priest, lighting his own taper from the sacred lamp that hung over the altar, called out to the congregation “Thefte larete foss,” (come and look at the light,) and he added “From the light that never sets.”
There was a general movement forward among the worshippers. The foremost lighted their tapers from the priest’s taper, and in turn gave light to those who stood behind, and soon the interior of the church was a blaze of light. Then followed prayers, Consul General Botassi assisting in the services as a deacon.
When the hour of midnight arrived the priest sang out “Christos anesti!” (Christ is risen!) Deacons, choir, and the congregation caught up the joyful strain, making the sign of the cross with their tapers. There were more chants and waving of tapers, the raising aloft of a sacred picture representing the risen Christ, and the services were ended.
Two assistants then brought out a large basket heaped up with red Easter eggs. Every one present was given an egg b the priest as a souvenir.
To view a copy of the actual article go to
The New York Times - Archive 1851 - 1980