by Chrysovalantis Stamelos
Published July 22, 2014 in the PappasPost.com
The name of this village is a name sung beautifully in so many Greek songs which harp back to the romantic era of Smyrna and an eastern Aegean coastline, which was home to a great population of educated and accomplished Ottoman Greeks. In fact, by 1922, Ayvalik was mostly an Ottoman-Greek inhabited area, with a view decorated by Orthodox church domes and monasteries. Ironically, at the same, the island across the shore, Lesvos, was greatly populated by Ottoman Muslim Turks, usually of higher-class. No one at that time would expect that a forced immigration battered by years of war would see a complete change of the ethnic and religious dynamics within months of their formation as we know both countries today. . . .
READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE AND VIEW SOME BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS